Carrots are very nutritious, rich in minerals and beta-carotene (source of vitamin A). Children also like to eat carrots raw, because of the high sugar content and therefore the sweet taste.
Hint! If the heads of the roots come above the ground, cover them again with some soil so that they do not turn green. Does not give extra fertilizer, this ruins the taste of the carrot.
What types of carrot seeds are available to grow?
There are several types of carrot seeds available for planting:
- Wood carrots and Wascarrots: These are carrot varieties such as Nantes and Amsterdamse bak with a sweet, crunchy taste and an orange colour. The carrots are fairly straight in shape and grow to about 15 cm in length.
- Paris Carrot: These are small flat to globular, sweet carrots that are usually harvested when they are about 5 cm in size. The baby carrots are often used in salads and as a snack.
- Winter carrot:These are carrot varieties such as Flakkeese and Berlikumer with a sweet, crunchy taste and an orange colour. The carrots are straight in shape and grow to about 15 cm in length.
- Chantenay: This root variety has a sweet, crunchy texture and an orange color. Chantenay carrots are shorter and thicker than Nantes carrots and are tapered.
- Purple carrots: These carrots have a sweet, slightly earthy flavor and a deep purple color. Purple carrots are often used in salads and as a garnish.
- Yellow carrots: These carrots have a sweet, slightly earthy taste and a yellow color. Yellow carrots are often used in salads and as a garnish.
When choosing carrot seeds, make sure you select a variety that is well suited to your climate and growing conditions.